The stuff added to this chocolate chip cookie bar is literally over-the-top with chocolate, peanut butter and crackers. This sweet, salty, cheezy, peanut buttery combo hits the spot, just have to get the ratio of layers right. The issue I had this time around was too much cookie, not enough Cheez-its!
But now that I've tried assembling them and tasting, here are directions that will have them turn out how they should have...
Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer
Get a basic cookie dough recipe ready, even the pre-made stuff and press it into a greased large (6-capacity) muffin tin, or an 8x8 baking dish. It should be about 1/4 inch thick. (mine were too think). You'll have cookie dough left over especially if you only make this in the muffin tins. Bake in oven and let cool in the pan. Loosen the cookies by running a knife around the edge and still leave them in the pan.
Peanut Butter Layer
- 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- salted peanuts (optional)
- 1 Cup white chocolate chips (or any type of chocolate you like)
- 2 tbsp butter or vegetable shortening
- 1tbsp light corn syrup
- 2 cups slightly broken Cheez-its and/or pretzels
Gently mix in the Cheez-its/pretzels into the chocolate. Poor the warm chocolate over the cooled cookies and let set in the fridge until hard.
* I didn't do my layers in this order, but I think it should all stick together better with the hard chocolate on top.